Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that deals primarily with the diagnosis, prevention and correction of malpositioned teeth and the jaws. Correction is performed by braces and removable appliances.
The causes of orthodontic disorders:
- Genetic predisposition,
- Bad habits (nail biting, pen biting),
- Compression of teeth by wisdom teeth,
- Thumb sucking,
- Tooth loss,
- Respiratory diseases that cause mouth breathing,
- Long term of pacifier usage,
- Early lost milk teeth (see Space Maintainers)
- Gum diseases.
People of any age can benefit from orthodontic treatment because teeth can be moved at all ages. However, if orthodontic disorder includes jawbones, age is an important criterion. 10-15 age range is the most appropriate period for the correction of jawbone positions by orthodontic treatment. In the older ages, surgical procedures may be required to position the jaws.
Tooth and gum diseases have to be treated before orthodontic treatment begins. If oral hygiene (see Oral Hygiene) is insufficient, food impaction and dental plaque accumulation increase due to braces, and this exacerbates tooth and gum diseases. Sustaining good oral hygiene is essential for the success of orthodontic treatment.
- Our Treatments
- Cosmetic Dentistry & Smile Design
- Fixed Dental Prosthesis
- Removable Dental Prosthesis
- Dental Implants & Dental Surgery (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery)
- Periodontology (Treatment of Gum Diseases)
- Pediatric Dentistry (Pedodontics) & Orthodontics